Once you reach Esplanade South Park along the Foreshore Accessible Pathway, the mangroves and trees open up to beautiful water views on your right. This rest area offers accessible parking, plenty of shaded seating, and BBQ facilities.
There are picnic shelters alongside the water, so groups can sit together and enjoy a packed lunch or morning tea. You can then set off along the concrete path, looking out for sculptural markers as part of the Deception Bay Heritage Trail.
This is a medium-sized park offering a quieter, bayside experience. Keep an eye out for local wildlife, including small lizards, water birds and migratory waders, and listen to the sounds of the gently lapping water.
Continue over a wheelchair-friendly bridge, past a toilet block and boat ramp, and you will reach Wallin Family Place before heading north up towards the Library and Captain Cook Parade.
Easy access and parking
Whether you are travelling by car or via the pathway, Esplanade South Park offers easy access and signed parking bays. Car parks, including clearly-marked accessible spots, are located a safe distance off the main road. A flat concrete pathway with sturdy, bright-yellow handrails connects the carpark to the shaded seating areas. The paths here are wide and spacious, allowing plenty of room for wheelchairs, walkers and other mobility aids.
Nearby rest stops:
Wallin Family Place
(4 Wallin Ave, Deception Bay)
Wallin Family Place is a shady spot to rest with accessible toilet facilities. It is located across the footbridge to the north of Esplanade S Park.
- Table and chairs
- Accessible toilet block
- Rubbish bins
- Concrete pathways
- Small playground with sandy floor
- Chip bark gardens
- Historical marker/sign
- Esplanade South Park and the connecting Foreshore Pathway offers plenty of fresh air and views of Deception Bay (including open water, mudflats, sand, and mangroves)
- Sit back, relax, and spot some of the local wildlife, such as water birds and migratory waders
- Deception Bay Heritage Trail sculptural markers (spot these along the foreshore)
- Listen to the distant waves, moving water, birds, and other wildlife
- Some minor traffic noise.
FIND OUT MORE: Discover the Deception Bay Heritage Trail for audio narration, historical photos, an interactive map, additional stops and more. Visit mbrc.qld.gov.au/heritage.
47 Esplanade S, Deception Bay