Whether you’ve decided to take a self-drive tour up the East Coast of Queensland, or planning your first visit to Moreton Bay Region, we’ve got everything you need to know about Queensland’s best kept secret right here.
By Air to Brisbane Airport
Brisbane Airport is the gateway to South East Queensland and is the closest international airport located 20 minutes south of the Moreton Bay Region. The Airport operates both international and domestic terminals. For information on special assistance support at the Brisbane Airport:
Pre-booked Accessible Pick-Up & Drop-Off Zones
The Brisbane Domestic and International Airport terminals have designated accessible parking bays.
- 2 special use accessible parking bays that are accessed via the Taxi drop off road.
- These spaces must be booked 24 hours in advance by calling 3406 3261 between 8am to 3pm Monday to Friday.
- 30 minute parking.
- Vehicle must display valid disability parking permit
Download PDF Map of Domestic Terminal Pre-booked Accessible Pick-Up & Drop-Off Zones - https://www.bne.com.au/sites/default/files/docs/Accessible-Passenger-Pick-Up-Drop-Off_Domestic_Map.pdf
- Follow signage to Departures on Level 4 to pick up or drop off passengers with accessible needs
- Maximum 5 minute stopping zone at marked locations only
- Driver must remain with vehicle at all times
Download PDF Map of International Terminal Pre-booked Accessible Pick-Up & Drop-Off Zones - https://www.bne.com.au/sites/default/files/docs/Accessible-Passenger-Pick-Up-Map-International-Terminal.pdf
Accessible Travel by Taxi
Accessible taxis are available across south east Queensland and many regional centres. Often these are maxi taxis that can carry one mobility scooter (provided it can be secured in the vehicle) or two wheelchairs.
The maxi taxi booking fee is not charged if the taxi hire involves a person using a wheelchair or mobility scooter.
Number of passengers
Accessible taxis can usually carry:
- 1 wheelchair and 8 other passengers at one time
- 2 wheelchairs and 5 other passengers at one time.
Mobility aid requirements
The available space for wheelchairs and mobility scooters in maxi taxis is usually 130cm by 80cm, with a door height of 140cm. The following measurements provide a guide:
- Maximum width of mobility aid: 75cm
- Maximum height of mobility aid: 130cm
- Maximum combined weight of mobility aid and operator: 300kg.
How to book an accessible taxi
- Hail: flag down a vacant accessible taxi (when their ‘taxi' light is on)
- Taxi rank: queue at a taxi rank with a rank marshal and request an accessible taxi
- Pre-book: Black & White Cabs: 13 32 22 or 13cabs: 13 22 27.
Riders who use wheelchairs or scooters can request a ride in a wheelchair-accessible vehicle (WAV). uberWAV drivers are certified in safely driving and assisting people with disabilities. Sign up to ride - https://www.uber.com/au/en/ride/uberwav/
Accessible Public Transport
Moreton Bay Region uses the same bus and train network as Brisbane City, which is called Translink. Below is information on websites to visit for further information on traveling via public transport:
Brisbane Domestic & International Airport Train Stations Access Guide
- Independent Accessible Station
- High Platform
- Accessible Toilet
Neither station have help phones, hearing loops or accessible parking.
Translink have a range of tickets giving you discounted or free travel on their services.
You may be eligible if you:
- travel with a carer/companion
- are vision impaired
- have disabilities and find it difficult to use the South East Queensland transport network
- use an assistance animal
- are a veteran with a Totally and Permanent Incapacitated (TPI) Pass or Extreme Disablement Adjustment (EDA)
Conveniently located in the heart of South East Queensland, the Moreton Bay Region is the perfect destination for any self-drive tour, with some of Queensland’s most iconic visitor attractions just a short road trip away.
Wheelchair friendly car hire operators:
Drive from Brisbane Airport to:
- Strathpine approximately 27 minutes
- North Lakes approximately 27 minutes
- Redcliffe approximately 29 minutes
- Samford Valley approximately 37 minutes
- Caboolture approximately 41 minutes
- Dayboro approximately 44 minutes
- Bribie Island approximately 54 minutes
- Woodford approximately 57 minutes
Within 60 Minutes from Moreton Bay Region:
- Australia Zoo
- Sunshine Coast Airport
- Aussie World
- Eumundi Markets
- Brisbane Entertainment Centre
Public recharge points
Designated Recharge Points™ have been installed within each library to enable users of electric mobility devices to safely recharge their device, free of charge, during library opening hours. Recharge points can be identified by the Recharge Point™ sticker, or by asking a library staff member.
Free recharge points are available at the following libraries:
- Albany Creek
- Arana Hills
- Bribie Island
- Deception Bay
- North Lakes
Further information - https://www.moretonbay.qld.gov.au/Services/Community-Support/Disability-Access-and-Inclusion
For more information on getting around the Moreton Bay Region, visit one of the Visitor Information Centres - https://www.accessible.visitmoretonbayregion.com.au/help